The SHSM is a ministry approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and assists in their transition from secondary school to apprenticeship training, college, university, or the workplace.
The St. Mary High School SHSM program is in the area of ARTS AND CULTURE. The Arts and Culture SHSM program, focuses on the fundamental knowledge and skills specific to the Arts industry. The program involves the practical and theoretical application of Drama, Music, and Visual Art/Photography. Students will be actively engaged in performances, productions and other community based events. Through sector partnerships, students will gain industry standard exposure to Arts related information through their participation in field trips, guest speaker appearances, workshops and safety awareness training.
The Arts and Culture SHSM program includes:
1. Eight bundled Senior Credits including:
· 4 credits in the Arts (2 in Grade 11 and 2 in Grade 12)
· 2 credits in Co-operative Education (placement related to the Arts)
· 1 credit in Grade 11 or 12 in Business or Canadian and World Studies
· 1 credit in Grade 12 English
2. Sector Recognized Certifications (ex. Training in an Art Form or Technique, Stage Combat, etc.)
3. Safety awareness training (i.e. WHMIS, First Aid and CPR)
4. Experiential Learning
· Career exploration activities within the Arts (i.e. Job Shadowing, etc.)
5. Development of Essential Skills and Work Habits
· identify and develop skills to work in the Arts
· use the Ontario Skills Passport for purposes of documentation.
6. “Reach ahead” experiences
· university/college preparation and planning (ex. Tour of Arts programs etc.)
Please see the Guidance Department for further information.